Holding Up the Universe | Review

Title: Holding Up the Universe
Author: Jennifer Niven
Pages: 388 pages
Version: Paperback
Publisher: Penguin
Rating: ★★★★★

Review

I'm not a shitty person, but I'm about to do a shitty thing. And you will hate me, and some other people will hate me, but I'm going to do it anyway to protect you and also myself... 

Holding Up the Universe tells the story of Libby Strout and Jack Masselin. Libby Strout was used to be America's Fattest Teen and that's been haunting her for a really long time. Now she's going back to school and she's afraid to be bullied again. Jack Masselin is not our typical badass guy, he has prosopagnosia, face blindness. He can't recognise a face and because of that, he does some stupid things. Their friendship hasn't  had a great start, but the more they get to know each other, the more they grow towards each other.

Sometimes people are just shitty. Sometimes they're shitty because they're afraid. Sometimes they choose to be shitty to others before others can be shitty to them. Like self-defense shittiness.

Holding Up the Universe is such a realistic read. I can relate to Libby in so many ways and I think she's such a strong main character. She's been through a lot but she's still going to school every morning. She's tough and I like that about her.

A normal life is what I've wanted for as long as I can remember.

Jennifer Niven is such a great author and I love her for writing this book. It's a topic that a lot of teens struggle with and she gave Holding Up the Universe something extra by giving Jack prosopagnosia. Jennifer Niven is amazing and I cannot wait to read another book written by her!


You are wanted. You are necessary. You are loved.